Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

reverb 10 | writing


PROMPT TWO | WRITING
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

I don't write enough. I know this. Sometimes I think about it. I think about how I don't write for me enough. I write plenty of research papers and spent a good deal of time in the past year writing columns for a newspaper. I write e-mails all the time. I even write tweets and Facebook updates. But I don't write want I want to write because I'm too busy thinking about the fact that I don't write.

And while I think about that, all kinds of great ideas pass through my brain, unnoticed or worse, simply not executed. Sometimes I have really great ideas, but then I convince myself that I don't have time or that it's not that great. I'm too judgmental.

Instead of just doing it- just writing, I avoid it because my idea might not be good enough or my writing might not be loved by someone else. Why do I care what someone else might say? I'm sensitive. And I'm shy. I don't like to get too personal with most people.

So here's to quitting the judgments of myself and to making time and to get the thoughts out of my head and into my keyboard.

To see all my Reverb 10 posts, click here.

1 comment:

Jack Craver said...

You have a lot of Twitter followers, you must be doing something right.

The way to write a lot is to write a little every day (or multiple times a day). Often what are meant to be small posts turn into long ones as your mind starts churning, but it comes naturally because you aren't resisting the obligation to write a long letter, post, article etc.