Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the hospital

Our little girl made her way into the world rather quickly. The labor was only about 9 hours start to finish. It was an entirely different experience than with Evan. Forgoing the epidural was the best decision of my life. The nurses and doctors at the hospital were completely supportive of that decision, as was Eric. Because the labor progressed so quickly, it got very intense very quickly in the final couple of hours. At that point, I felt crippled with pain and made the decision to ask about alternative pain management. The contractions were coming right on top of each other and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I had to yell through every one. I was given one dose of a morphine-like painkiller. It helped to take the edge off of some contractions and made me feel like I had had a strong cocktail, but it did not stop me from feeling. Not. even. close. My adrenaline, nurses, doctors and especially my incredibly supportive husband got me through it. She arrived at 10:41 p.m., more beautiful than I could have ever imagined her to be.

There was a slight complication with the placenta not delivering naturally, which unfortunately, after about an hour and a half, resulted in a trip to the OR for me. It was scary for both Eric and I, but I was in safe hands and Mila was in the safest arms she'll ever know- those of her daddy. I only got to hold her briefly before being taken away, but when I came back, we got in plenty of cuddles and there was no bond missed.

She is incredible.

She slept and ate well that night and in the morning, Evan came. Eric went to pick him up to visit his little sister. He could not have been more excited to meet her. But let's face it- a hospital room can be a little constricting for a rambunctious 2-year-old.
It was a little overwhelming and because I was still hooked up to an oxytocin drip (because of the earlier mentioned complication), I could not do much to entertain him. I was so happy to see him though, because I missed him like crazy in those few hours I had been away from the little booger.

Eric decided to stay that night with me in the hospital and to let Evan stay another night with his grandpa. I needed him and so did she. We had a really good time in the hospital together, from the moment we got there until the moment we left (ya know, besides all those contractions!).
Mila and Eric already have a special connection that is so different from the one he has with Evan and it makes me tear up just to think about. She is so lucky. And so am I.

She's got a personality all her own. I can't wait to see it develop. When Evan was born, I could not have imagined the little cutie I have running around today. I don't know what she'll be like. But I do know one thing- we are damn happy to have her.


aliciajill said...

Beautiful! Congrats!

Brie1903 said...

Your pictures are so priceless! I love them! I can't believe how far you and Eric have come - I'm really happy for you and your little family :)

Elizabeth said...

This is an absolutely precious post and what a gorgeous family you have, Jaimie! Thank you so much for sharing.