Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

never give up, mom

Kids seriously say the most profound things.
My son is way more insightful than I would ever expect him to be at almost 4.
He hears us say things that seem smart and then he uses them in a totally different context and more often than not, they are totally genius.

After dinner, we went to Walmart to pick up some water shoes so his feet would stop getting all cut up at the pool. Suffice to say, it was a slightly challenging trip. For whatever reason, I got anxious and overly-annoyed. I was being short and moody. When we went to the parking lot, another mother looked as if she felt the same way. But I got totally judge-y (okay, this was mainly because her toddler daughter's carseat was completely loose when strapped on, but still) and I saw my attitude in her and it made me annoyed with myself. Evan was chatting on about wanting to put on his new shoes. And finally, I caved and said I would put them on.

Then he said to me, "Never give up, Mom. You can't give up."

And at that moment, I completely understood him. And he completely understood this world.
I wish he could stay that way forever. Just seeing things the way they are.
Some people might say that he was just saying something that sounded good and he had no idea what he meant, but I know him and I know that he knows what he meant.
He could see that I was struggling to feel like a good parent in that moment.
And he told me to never give up trying.
Parenting isn't something we just do and we're great at it and it's so easy and fun and peaches and sunshine all day day. I have to work at it. I have to not give up trying.

And my son. Who is not even 4. Knows that.

1 comment:

Mom said...

"Out of the mouths of babes" - A VERY, VERY INTELLIGENT, PERCEPTIVE BABE.