Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

exactly what it is

As I was reading this post last week, I nearly came to tears.
The time she is describing, where she has no time for herself, is exactly where I am now.
With a 5-month-old and a (almost) 3-year-old, mom doesn't get much alone time.

The time I do get either takes place in the shower or working. (I love my work, but it's still work)
I dream of days where I'll get to have a morning photo shoot and spend the afternoon doing chores without little feet right behind my own followed by an hour sitting on the deck drinking iced coffee and meal planning, followed by making a cute after-school snack for the kiddos.

But for now, I am hurriedly writing this post on a Friday afternoon with one kid learning to go #2 on the potty and another chewing on an Elmo figurine. Oops, just got interrupted by a call from the hubby, a request for animal crackers and to pick up the Elmo for the sixth time.

In this life as a stay at home mom, one can easily get wrapped up in dreaming about the future. I know I do. I dream of a house I don't have and grown children and annual vacations to Hawaii.
But that doesn't mean that I don't love the life I have. It's the best. For real. I am so lucky. I am reminded of this daily when I watch the news, read birth boards and even check my Facebook. I have it so good. And in five years, I am totally going to miss having my kids follow my every move because along with that, it'll mean that I no longer get to see their gummy smiles and that I no longer will have to help them pedal their bikes. In five years, they won't wake up in the middle of the night needing mama and they won't think I'm quite as cool.
So while Hawaii and iced coffees on the deck seems super dreamy and far off, I'm enjoying life as it is.

No comments: